Monday 8 August 2011

Courtnall Celebrity Classic 2011





Friday, July 22nd was a night to remember for me; I was working at the Courtnall Celebrity Classic Gala. It was truly an honour to be a part of an event like this; for those that are not familiar, this event was held initially 8 years ago in 2003 and again in 2004 to raise money for mental illness. Well, in those two years they were able to raise 2 Million for mental illness and thus created the Archie Courtnall Centre. Geoff, Russ, and Bruce Courtnall are three men who have been touched by mental illness personally and because of that they; with the help of some celebrity friends, have been working to bring awareness to mental illness and helping those who are fighting/struggling with it.
The event this year was to raise funds for a long term care centre for patience fighting mental illness, as the Archie Courtnall Centre is a facility for short term assistance.
That kind of first hand passion in this event; and all the others that I have worked on, is what keeps me going back for more; it's something that you can feel in your heart and soul. Every cause is a worthy cause and I'm always happy to be there to help in any way I can.
So, the night, it was fantastic! There were stars from the ice, TV, movies, the stage, and so much more. The evening was hosted by Hockey Night in Canada's co-host Ron MacLean.
I was pulling a double header at this event, that means two shifts. Shift #1 was to be working in the Silent Auction area, be there in case anyone had questions about some of the items that were in my area.
Shift # 2 I was to be a Live Auction spotter; this was to make sure the auctioneer would see everyone who was bidding.
I was excited, I was ready, then I got promoted...If I was excited before, you know I was even more excited now. Shift # 1 now had me as a greeter! I got to talk to everyone that came through those doors, show them to their tables, answers any questions they may have, or just politely say "hello" to them. Because of this, I was able to meet Full House's Candace Camerson Bure and her husband Hockey icon Valeri Bure, local operatic genius Ken Lavigne, Hockey legend Kirt McLean, Actors Jonathan Silverman, Lochlyn Munro, Matt Craven, Deborah Unger, Country singer Arron Pritchett, and many more!
Shift # 2 still found me in the Live Auction, but now I was a Recorder; my job consisted of being in charge of one Lot; Lot # 3 to be exact. Once that lot was finished I went to the winner of that auction got their bid number, price of what they paid for it and give the numbers to the host and one to the "bank" for later on in the evening when they would have to go and pay for their item.
The Live Auction was a lot of fun to watch, the auctioneer sure had a way with his words; I don't know if I've ever heard anyone speak that fast before, and super funny too.
At the end of the evening I chipped in to help with assisting the guest to find out what they won in the silent auction and where they needed to go from there.
It was a long night, but you know I never got tired. I had worked a full day at my regular job, then straight there working a total of a 15 and a half hour day and I never got tired; that's saying something I think. What do you think??

Courtnall Brothers Picture courtesy of Islandsportsnews.net

Picture of Jonathan Silverman and wife courtesy of timescolonist.com


No comments:

Post a Comment